My neighbourhood

Tell you more about where I live now... pretty interesting place. Basically this area feels more like India than Singapore - you see 90% Indians here, and when I go into restaurants it feels quite awkward. Most of the time I'm the only Chinese in the whole restaurant.

Downstairs is a 24-hour grocery shop that has sort of a durian restaurant. Basically they put up some tables and chairs and people will come to eat durians and watermelons. So far I haven't tried the durian yet - there's the 3 packs for $5 one, very tempting - because I usually overeat for dinner.

A bit further down the street another 24-hr supermarket. It's called Mustafa Center, very notorious for its narrow aisles and crazy crowds. But it has a mixture of cheap and branded goods. Hotbed for H1N1 too. But it is very convenient and the amazing thing is it's huge - it basically is a hypermart and sells everything from fresh to dry food, jewelries, clothes, shoes, electrical appliances, and even its own money exchange and travel agency. Although most non-Indians tend to avoid the place because it's stressful enough to squeeze among the crowds in the MRT and bus stops.

Besides that there are of course a ridiculous amount of place to eat here - and gold stores. The Indian food here are typically North or South Indian food with names that you have to check in Wikipedia to make any sense of (I actually did that and it was pretty helpful). Typical Indian food cost about $4-$6 (a bit of high end in Singapore) but portions are huge. I wish I have more refined tastebuds because frankly I can't really tell the difference between most of the curries they have.

And I have to stop writing since I'm feeling very sleepy now...

0 lalalas: