Goodbye, Love

We met about a year ago. Before our fateful meeting I have been searching for you for months, waiting patiently and pursuing feverishly at the same time. Finally, I laid my eyes on you and claim you as mine.

School was busy. I waited for the weekend to indulge in our newfound relationship. I explored every inch of you, previously untouched by any man. It was my first too. Excited and nervous, my hands shook with the feeling of your smooth exterior. It was joy beyond words. At the end of those 2 days we were bonded so tightly I could barely breathe.

You were my family, my lover, my confidante, my friend, and my last piece of the puzzle called life. You accompanied me in my study and in my endless pursuit of pieces of knowledge that seemed of dubious value. When I have to stay up late, at wit's end trying to solve that physics problem, you stood by me, your silent but sturdy support upheld me. I was grateful. For without you, all those lonely nights alone would have been unbearable.

I learnt a lot of things from you - I am still amazed at how helpful you were towards my academics. Although sometimes I get distracted by your gentle and soothing murmurs and the colorful expressions on your flawless face. Hand in hand, we travel imaginary wilderness, banished darkness, and studied the history of forgotten civilizations. Those were the blissful days that I would cherish forever.

Time flies. Fate, that cruel mistress, forced me into exile to a far away land, so far that for all your courage, resourcefulness, and passion you could never hope to reach. Do I have a choice? I have always had a choice. But in my selfishness, I could never give up the opportunity to pursue my dreams, especially in such hard times. Even then, how could I relinquish this loving embrace of yours? I asked myself again and again, losing sleep over this difficult question.

It no longer matters now. Today, I gave your hand to another man. Yes, with these hands that have caressed you countless times, I led you to him. My heart was weeping blood, but my eyes stayed dry. I put on a strong facade, smiling but could not bring myself to say goodbye. As if uttering those words means giving up even the memories of you. You did not look back, even though in his arms I could trace the slightest trembling of your body.

Goodbye, love. I know we would never meet again.

0 lalalas: